Register for the Housing Finance Course for Sub-Saharan Africa
Online Course: 18 – 29 January 2021
To register, visit http://www.cpd.uct.ac.za/cpd/register to complete an online registration form.
Course fee: Early bird Registration ( before 1 December 2020) : ZAR 14,850 / Standard registration: ZAR 16,500
The housing crisis in Sub-Saharan Africa has had a particularly negative effect on people’s well-being during the current COVID-19 pandemic. It is urgent to address the need for affordable housing. This requires robust and inclusive housing finance systems that offer diverse housing finance products, that are supported by effective policies and stimulus measures.
The Housing Finance Course for Sub-Saharan Africa addresses the critical challenges faced by the housing finance industry in Sub-Saharan Africa and teaches the conceptual, managerial and practical tools needed to build strong housing finance systems.
The course is run as a partnership between the UCT Nedbank Urban Real Estate Research Unit at the University of Cape Town and the International Housing Finance Program of the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, USA, and is supported by the Centre for Affordable Housing Finance in Africa.
This year, due to the challenges brought about from the COVID-19 pandemic, the course will be held in an online, providing the chance to engage and learn from a number of experts in the field, including, Drs. Marja Hoek-Smit from the University of Pennsylvania.
The online course is designed to provide a flexible and interactive learning path through the course material. This course is held over a two weeks period, with 3 to 4 hours of live online lectures , Q&A periods and self-directed on-line discussions per day. There are opportunities to network with other delegates throughout the two-week course.
- The Role of Housing in an Economy
- The Role of Finance in Housing Markets
- Building Blocks of a Housing Finance System
- The State of Housing Finance in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Overview of Housing Finance Products
- The Business of Housing Finance: Profitability, Risks and Risk Management
- Funding Sources for Housing Finance: Role of Capital Market Funding
- Safety & Soundness of Financial Institutions: The Regulatory Environment
- Expanding Housing Finance to Underserved Markets: Housing Micro-finance
- Using Subsidies to Expand Housing Markets & Housing Finance Systems.