The South African Council for the Architects Profession (SACAP) will be bringing together 500 South African and international architectural professionals at their annual convention – ‘SOARING 21’ – on 26 August 2021.
SOARING 21 features an impressive line-up of 35 of the brightest minds sharing big ideas to charter a course for the development of the profession in 9 sessions curated against 3 main themes:
- How far we have come: Architecture is one of the most influential professions in the world that offers opportunities to shape and transform the society we live in
- Where we are: Rethinking the future for a responsively transformed profession
- How far we’ll go: Forging ahead – harmonising structure, nature and life within the built environment and pushing beyond the boundaries.
Panels and keynotes speakers comprise the best of the industry:
- Dr Luyanda Mpahlwa, Founder and Director, DesignSpaceAfrica
- Mokena Makeka, Founder, Makeka Design Lab
- Jo Noero, Principle, Noero Architecture
- Ruben Reddy, Owner, Ruben Reddy Architects
“SOARING 21 has two key objectives,” explains SACAPs President, Charles Nduku. “We want to inspire and motivate our professionals to become pioneers in bringing about transformation, diversity, leadership and innovation in the built environment. Architecture should play a far more active role in shaping our society to reflect South Africa in all its diversity.”
“We also want to ensure that our profession has a significant seat at the table. Now more than ever, all players from the built environment’s value chain need to be included in driving infrastructure growth and recovery,” continues Nduku. “SOARING 21 is going to be a unique opportunity for us, to have open and meaningful dialogues with our public-sector principals in this regard and an opportunity to showcase the essential service we play in our society…”
A notable assembly of government representation has been confirmed, including:
- Honourable Noxolo Kiviet, Deputy Minister of Public Works and Infrastructure
- Dr Kgosientso Ramokgopa, Head of Infrastructure and Investment Office in the Presidency
- Nana Mhlongo, Interim CEO, Council for the Built Environment
- Nolitha Ntobongwana, Chairperson, Infrastructure Portfolio Committee Parliament
- Khanyisa Qobo, Divisional Manager: Advocacy Division, Competition Commission
The interactive programme will be presented digitally and offers CPD accreditation for registered professionals.