The mandate of GPF is “to serve as the funding and implementing agent for integrated, sustainable human settlement developments in the Gauteng City Region and custodian of strategic provincial land and/or property transferred to GPF for effective immovable asset management and coordinated, efficient implementation of mega human settlement developments”.
More specifically, GPF’s mandate comprises the following key roles/functions:
- Fundraising and investment facilitation: Use of public sector funding to leverage additional funding and facilitate capital flows into integrated, sustainable human settlements through the formation of strategic partnerships with local and international donors, development finance institutions and private sector partners;
- Project Preparation and Funding Packaging: To assess project readiness, coordinate and facilitate the process to close the project readiness gaps in collaboration with relevant stakeholders. Develop bankable feasibility studies and facilitate funding and investment in human settlement projects;
- Project Financing: To facilitate an equitable risk sharing and project financing model;
- Project implementation, coordination and oversight: Project management, monitoring and evaluation of the development of Mega Projects by developers and contractors;
- GPF custodianship of strategic provincial land and/or property for development and life cycle asset management: To maintain, secure, develop and leverage the value of the land/property to unlock funding for development. The intent is to enhance GPF’s balance sheet for sourcing additional funding for all elements/sectors that comprise integrated, sustainable human settlement developments.
This includes the role of GPF as a Property Developer and Manager: Turnkey planning and execution of projects on strategic land/property designated to GPF as custodian.
• In this context, GPF summarises its Value Proposition (Purpose) as follows:
“In support of the spatial transformation of the GCR, to develop integrated, sustainable human settlements by leveraging strategic partnerships, providing innovative funding solutions, facilitating effective project implementation, and developing and managing strategic land and property designated to GPF as custodian.”
, sustainable human settlements are inclusive of New Towns, Mega Human Settlement Projects, new post-Apartheid cities and all related infrastructure investments and developments (across sectors) that contribute to the spatial transformation and reconfiguration of the GCR. This may include projects related to the provision of student accommodation and the regeneration of existing inner cities.
In this context, GPF summarises its Value Proposition (Purpose) as follows:
“To support spatial transformation and the development of integrated, sustainable human settlements across the GCR through strategic partnerships, innovative funding solutions and effective project development, implementation and land management”
Based on the above, GPF’s vision, mission, and values have been formulated to provide overall direction and inspiration in meeting and exceeding the mandate.